We have been here at seminary for three years and I've watched so many classmates come and go, and now its our turn! Today I found out that I will be serving as intern at Zion Lutheran Church/First Methodist Church in The Dalles, Oregon! Yes, its an ecumenical partnership and I will primarily be serving the Methodist church, yet my supervisor is an ELCA pastor. I will preach three times a month at the Methodist church and once a month at the Lutheran church, the two share confirmation and youth ministry. This model is quite unique and a bit of an experiment as churches in the Pacific NorthWest try to understand the best way to be church in a growing secular land.
So, our summer will start at Holden Village (near Chelan, WA) where I will serve as Village musician June 4-24th, then we will cross the country to be with the Meyer family on the east coast July 2-9th and then I will return to The Dalles and begin work! My internship site has a earlier start date, so this means our time in Minnesota is actually drawing to a close as we will pack up and move out west before we get to the Village. Crazy! (I did not get the leadership award I applied to, which would have taken me to France and other project this summer. It was disappointing but now with this news I'm REALLY ok with that! I love the way our summer is shaping up!)
There is much to figure out, but I just had an hour long conversation with my supervisor where we talked about housing, school, childcare and they are very committed to helping us feel comfortable. So, when he asked for my "housing dream list" I really told him what Micaela was hoping for; dishwasher, green lawn and a dog :)
interesting facts: the Dalles thrives on cherry orchards and is the wind-surfing capital of the country! It is set in the Columbia Gorge, well known for some of the country's best hiking!
I haven't made this information public around campus just yet, just want a couple days to process it myself. So maybe lets not post anything public on good 'ole facebook just yet. Thanks!
I pray this finds you well and loving the promise of spring!
Much love,
Elizabeth & Micaela
No comments:
Post a Comment