Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snowshoe and Sled races

Last weekend was an exciting time in the event of snowsports. Last Friday a few seminary friends and I went just outside of the city to snowshoe in the wilderness. Surprisingly, it was all their first time snowshoeing, but I shouldn't talk, it was only my second. Since there has been so much snow it made for great conditions in which we could go off the trail and forge some of our own paths. After being tuckered out, I decided to go again for the third time, but this time in northern Minnesota. My dad's side of the family gathered in Cloquet (about 25 minutes SW of Duluth) where my aunt and uncle live. Through a collective effort we discovered we had 9 pairs of snowshoes, so all of the cousins went out and left the 'grownups' behind. We trampled through their 32 wooded acres and it was a blast! I have decided that if my first call is in a location where snowshoeing is a possibility, I will purchase some!

Following two days of snowshoeing, it seemed quite natural that I would go to a dogsled race,the John Beargrease race. It was neat to watch the dogs be so excited, to countdown with the crowd and then watch the team take off. While I think this would also be one sport that I would like to try, I don't think I want to mess with the hassle of owning 14 or more dogs!

While all of this outdoor winter activity was fun, I will say that I am more than ready for a few signs that winter is waning. It came today with temperatures in the 30s and I was very pleased with that!

Much love!
Scanders

No comments:

Post a Comment